Arunacha Pradesh is one of the Northeastern state of India and it is mostly of tribal community.So the tribal cultures reflects in the food culture of Arunachal Pradesh.Since Arunachal pradesh is an agricultural state produces,rice,millet and sugarcane.These crop are extensively used in their everyday food and special occasions.
Apong is a local beer made with the fermented rice ana other millets is a very popular beverage in Arunachal Pradesh.
Zan is a popular dish made with boiling the millets in boiling water which is a staple food for the Monpas tribal community.
Thukpa is yet another simple and delicious soup recipe which is made with noodles,veggies and meat.This is soup is a healthy as well as a filling one.
There are various versions to make thukpa but after so many searches,I tried a vegetarian version.This soup came out so delicious and its perfect for a cold day.I made this soup bit spicy so you can adjust according to your preference.I used the regular plain noodles and didn't use any vegetable stock,if you want you add some chicken pieces and veggie or chicken stock.With no further delay lets move on to the recipe......................
Preparation Time -10 minutes
Cooking Time-20 minutes
|Plain noodles||75 gms|
|Shallots/chinna vengayam(finely chopped)||5-6|
|Tomato(finely chopped)||1 medium size|
|Garlic/poondu(finely chopped)||2 cloves|
|Red chilly powder/milagai podi||1/2tsp|
|Garam masala powder||1/2tsp|
|Carrot(cut into thin strips)||1/4 cup|
|Cumin seeds/jeeragam||1/2 tsp|
- Cook the noodles in boiling water with a pinch of salt and few drops of oil till it gets cooked,drain the excess water,keep it aside.
- Heat a pan with oil and crackle the cumin seeds,add the finely chopped shallots,green chilly,ginger and garlic.
- Then goes in chopped tomato,cook it until it is mushy,now add the spice powders and give it a mix.
- Add around 3 cups of water and salt.Allow it to boil,let it simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add the noodles and cook it for a minute.Finally sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve it hot.
- Rice noodles can also be used for making this soup and the amount of spice can be altered according to personal preference.
- Vegetable or chicken stock can be added instead of water.