Today is the first day of Blogging Marathon #24 for week 4 and the theme I chose is Kids Lunch Box recipe.Being a mom of 7 years old picky eater,packing a nutritious lunch box which suits for his taste buds is really challenging for me.He always wants his lunch box to be mess free and it should be a fusion recipe.
Recently found out he has a liking towards paneer and spinach stuffed samosas,so wanted to try this combo.One such thing he loves to take for lunch box is stuffed paratha smeared with tomato ketchup.So I experimented the stuffing with his favorite paratha and the end result was a super hit.He surprised me with an empty lunch box and said that it was so delicious.Here goes the recipe...............
For the outer covering
|Oil or ghee||for brushing the parathas|
|Spinach/palak(finely chopped)||2cups (tightly packed)|
|Red chilly powder||1/2tsp|
|Garam masala powder||1/4tsp|
|Turmeric powder/manjal podi||1/2tsp|
|Coriander leaves/cilantro||2tbs(finely chopped)|
- Mix in wheat flour,salt and oil in a bowl,slowly add the water and knead into a stiff dough.Cover the dough and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the stuffing,heat a skillet with oil and crackle the cumin seeds,add the grated ginger and add the finely chopped spinach and saute it for a minute.Drain the excess water in the cooking process. Now add the powders,salt and mix it well so that everything gets blend and cook it for a minute or two.
- Finally add the paneer and coriander leaves and put off the flame.Set it aside,let it cool completely.
- After cooling divide into equal portions and also divide the dough into equal portions.
- Flatten the dough into 3' disc and keep the stuffing and seal it.On a floured surface roll it into 6-7 inch paratha of desired thickness.
- Cook it on a hot griddle both sides till golden color and spots appear,brush it with oil or butter or ghee according to your preference.
- Serve it raitha,pickle,ketchup or curry of your choice.
- Do not cook the stuffing for a long time after adding the paneer.
- It is necessary to drain the water while cooking the spinach otherwise the stuffing would be watery.
- If the stuffing is watery add a tbs of thin poha(rice flakes) to absorb the moisture.
- Try to use the fresh spinach as the frozen spinach tends to leave lot of water.
- As I made it for my kid,didn't use green chillies if you want you can add finley chopped chilly along with ginger.