For this week of CCC,when I was looking at my cook book collections this kulambhu caught my attention.I noted down this recipe from a magazine during my last India trip.
I tried this kulambhu for the first time,it came out so delicious and finger licking.The recipe is more like the karevepillai kulambhu prepared in our households but with freshly ground masala.Simple papad and fryum goes very well with this kulambhu,but I paired up with chow chow kootu and egg omlette.Lets move on to the recipe..............................
Preparation Time ~ 10 minutes
Cooking Time ~25 minutes
Serves ~4 (generously)
|Coriander leaves/kothamalli||11/2cups (tightly packed)|
|Tamarind /puli||small lemon size|
|Curry leaves/karivepillai||1 sprig|
|Black pepper/milagu||1 tsp|
|Cumin seeds/jeeragam||1 tsp|
|Dried Red chilly/varamilagai||4-5|
|Coriander seeds/dhaniya||1 tbs|
|Toor dhal/thuvaram paruppu||1 tsp|
For the tempering
- Dry roast the given ingredients in a medium flame till a ice aroma comes out and becomes golden.After cooling grind it to a bit coarse powder.
- Heat pan with 2 tsp of oil and saute the onion and garlic follows the tomato.Once the tomato becomes mushy add the coriander leaves and saute it for a minute till it wilts.Put off the flame and grind it to a fine paste.
- Meanwhile make the tamarind extract and mix the ground spice powder,turmeric powder and salt,keep it aside.
- Heat the pan with the remaining oil and do the tempering,add the curry leaves.Add the tamarind water and let it boil for 5 minutes in a medium flame.Finally add in the coriander paste,let it boil for another 5 minutes in a medium flame till the oil separates.
- Kothamalli Kulambhu is ready.
This recipe is off to Cook Book Challenge #6 March week 4.