This chivda can be made with both thin and thick variety of poha,today I used the thick variety.Now on to the recipe.......
|Thick Poha/rice flakes/aval||1cup|
|Roasted gram dhal/pottukadalai||1/4cup|
|Fresh Coconut Pieces||2tbs|
|Green Chilly(finely chopped)||2nos.|
|Red chilly powder/milagai podi||1/2-1tsp|
|Turmeric powder/manjal podi||1/4tsp|
- Dry roast the poha/aval in pan in a medium flame till it becomes crisp and set it aside.
- Heat a wide mouth pan with the oil,fry the coconut pieces,green chilly and curry leaves till it turns brown and crisp.
- Then goes in peanuts,roasted gram dhal and cashews,fry it for a minute.
- Now add the chilly powder,turmeric powder and turn off the stove.
- Finally add the fried poha,salt,sugar and mix it well till everything gets mixed well.
- Store it in an air tight container.
- Make sure after adding the red chilly powder and turmeric powder turn off the stove otherwise it will burn and becomes black.
- Originally the recipe has dried coconut(copra),as it is not available here used the fresh coconut pieces and fried.
- The chivda tastes even better the next day,as the flavors get incorporated well.
- Crushed garlic can also be added along with the curry leaves for extra flavor.