Ashoka is a bright red vibrant coloured sweet made out of moong dhal, which is very famous in my home town(Thanjavur/Thiruvaiyaru).This sweet is a must in the wedding menu in my place.There is a famous shop in my home town where they sell only this sweet.This recipe I got it from a chef who has mastered in preparing Ashoka and I had an oppurtunity to see how he makes.According to his recipe, the proportion is 1:2:3(moong dhal:sugar:ghee).I reduced the amount of ghee to 2 cups due high calorie.But using the 3 cups of ghee gives an extra taste and richness to it.Here comes the recipe...
|Edible camphor||a small rice grain size|
|Nutmeg powder||a pinch(optional)|
|Red food color||a pinch|
Pressure cook the moong dhal till it becomes mushy and keep it aside.Now heat a wide mouth heavy bottomed pan with 1/2 cup of ghee and fry the maida till the color changes to golden.
- Cooked moong dhal can be blend it in a blender if it is not mushy.
- The amount of sugar can be increased or decreased to preference.The sugar what I have is not sweet enough so I increased to 21/4 cups.
- Tiny amount of edible camphor should be used,otherwise it spoils the entire sweet.
- Instead of maida, wheat flour can be substituted.
- This sweet tastes very well when it is warm.
- For reheating the sweet, keep it in a bowl in a boiling water.This way the ghee melts and becomes warm without changing the consistency.
I am sending this to Diwali-"Festival of lights" event.