As many you know that we group of friends started a new event named as Tamizhar Samayal Tuesday happenings at 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month.
Being second Tuesday today I am sharing you all a simple authentic kaara kulambhu aka puli kulambhu,popular in Tamilnadu Cuisine.
There are lots of variation and methods for this kulambhu but today's version is with the sambar powder.
The secret ingredient which makes the kulambhu flavorful is the kulambhu vadagam,dried version of onion with spices used for tempering.This kulambhu vadagam is made during summer time in many households and keep it for a year or two.
Here I used the kulambhu vadagam to make this kulambhu more flavorful,if you don't have just use the mustard seeds and fenugreek for the tempering.Here goes the recipe..............
Preparation Time - 10 minutes
Cooking Time - 20 minutes
Serves - 3
|Shallots( sliced )||8-10|
|Small round eggplant/kathirikkai||4(thinly sliced)|
|Turmeric powder/manjal podi||1/8tsp|
|Curry leaves/karivepillai||1 sprig|
|Tamarind/puli||small lemon size|
- Soak the tamarind in 1/2 cup of water and extract the juice,keep it aside.
- Heat a pan with oil,add the kulambhu vadagam,then toast the curry leaves.Add the peanuts and fry it for a while.
- Saute the onion and garlic till transparent.Then goes in the sliced eggplant/brinjal.Fry it till it changes the color or for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add in the chopped tomato and cook it mushy.Add the sambhar powder and turmeric powder to it and give it a mix.
- Add the tamarind water,salt and a cup of water,cook it in a medium flame till the eggplants get tender and soft.(may take 8-10 minutes)
- Kaara Kulambhu is ready.
Serve it with white rice and vegetable poriyal/kootu,Pappad.
- This kulambhu becomes thick on cooling,so adjust it accordingly.
- As we like it bit thicker version I made it so,instead of kulambhu vadagam a tsp of mustard and 1/4 tsp of fenugreek and cumin seeds can be used.
- This kulambhu can be made without the eggplants also.
- Veggies such a drumstick,raw banana,bitter gourd can also be used.
- Adding peanuts is purely optional, it gives a crunch.
- Here I used fat cloves of garlic,if you are using small cloves use 12-15 cloves.
Check out my fellow bloggers recipe here.