In our Indian food Odyssey we are in Madhya Pradesh today,a Central province state situated in Central India.
This state has a nick name'Heart of India'due to its geographical location in India and its the second largest state in the country by area.
Both vegetarian and non-vegetarian recipes are popular and street foods are very common.
Poha with jalebi is a breakfast dish and its a popular street food combo too.
The poha is a healthy dish made along with veggies and can be topped with sev, fresh pomegranate seeds,onion and peanuts.
I adapted the recipe from here and here,as I don't have pomegranate I used the thin sev and peanuts for the topping and we had it as an evening snack. Lets.Lets move on to the recipe..................................
Preparation time ~ 10 minutes
Cooking time ~ 10 minutes
Serves ~2 (generously)
|Flattened rice/poha/aval(thick)||2 cups|
|Onion(finely chopped)||1 (medium size)|
|Green chilly/pachamilagai||3 (finely chopped)|
|Peanuts/ver kadalai||2 tbs|
|Mustard seeds/kadugu||1 tsp|
|Fennel seeds/sombu||1 tsp|
|Coriander leaves||1 tbs(chopped)|
|Turmeric powder/manjal podi||1/4 tsp|
|Lemon juice||1 tsp|
- Soak the flattened rice/poha in water for couple of minute and drain the water and keep it aside.
- Heat pan with oil and do the tempering with mustard seeds,add in the chopped green chilly,fennel seeds and peanuts,cashews.
- Saute the onion till transparent and add in the diced potato and mix it well.
- Sprinkle a tbs of water and cook it covered till the potato cooked till soft.
- Add in the salt and turmeric powder.
- Now add the soaked and drained poha and mix it well,cook it covered in a medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the grated coconut,lemon juice and give it a mix.
- Garnish it with sev,coriander leaves and peanuts.
- Garnishing is personal preference,you can use pom seeds,sev,finely chopped onion and coriander leaves.
- Do not soak the poha for a long time otherwise it may turn mushy.