Today we are travelling to Bihar,its one of the state situated in Eastern part of India.Bihari cuisine is predominantly vegetarian and they use mustard oil and panchporan spices.The very famous dishes in Bihar are sattu ki paratha where as paratha is stuffed with sattu(fried chikpea flour),chokka and bihari kebabs.
Coming to the recipe I bookmarked this one from Vaishali's blog.Ghugni is a curry made with chickpeas and dhuska,a kind of deep fried pancake is served along with ghugni.
Dhuska is a deep fried pancake which resembles vella paniyaram in taste,made in Tamilnadu.But here instead of deep fry,I used a small omelette pan and shallow fried .Lets move on to the recipe...........
Preparation time - 10 minutes
Cooking time - 20 minutes
Serves - 2
|Soaked black chickpeas||11/2 cups|
|Red chilly powder/milagai podi||1/2 tsp|
|Coriander powder/dhaniya podi||1/2 tsp|
|Garam masala powder||1/4 tsp|
|Aamchur powder||1/2 tsp|
|Cumin seeds/jeeragam||1/2 tsp|
- Heat a pressure pan with the oil and crackle the cumin seeds,add in the chopped green chilly and grated ginger.
- Next goes in the chopped tomato,cook it until mushy.
- Now add the soaked channa/chickpeas and give it a mix.Then add the red chilly powder,coriander powder,turmeric powder and salt.
- Mix it well and cook it till the oil separates,now add around 11/2 cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles in a medium flame.
- Once the pressure subsides,add the garam masala powder and aamchur powder,cook it for a minute.
- Finally sprinkle the coriander leaves and put off the flame.
Soaking time ~2hrs
Preparation time ~ 15 minutes
Cooking time ~10-15 minutes
|Raw rice/pacharisi||1 cup|
|Urad dhal/uluthamparuppu||1/4 cup|
|Channa dhal/kadalaparuppu||2 tbs|
- Soak the dhals and rice together for at least 2 hrs.
- Grind it to a fine paste,add the salt and mix it well.
- Heat a pan,add in 2 tsp of oil and pour a ladle full of batter.Let it cook,flip it to the other side and cook it for a minute.
- Remove it and serve it with ghugni.
- For the deep fried version pour a ladle full of batter in the hot oil and cook it.