After Gujarat,today we are in Haryana, a Northern state of India,means'the adobe of God'.
Haryana cuisine is called Haryanavi Cuisine and this state also named as 'Land of Rotis' as lots of rotis are prepared.
Haryana is popular for its cattle wealth and thereis no dearth of milk or milk products in cuisine of Haryana.People prepare ghee a home and they use liberal use of ghee in their diet.Bajra is mostly include in their diet and most common dishes are bajra ki roti,bajra ki kichadi,hara dhaniya chole,gajar ka sabzi.Lassi is the most common beverage popular in Haryana.
Now coming to the recipe I made a sweet made with gram flour/besan and the same recipe can be made with wheat flour also.Pinni is mostly made during the winter months to keep the body warm.The recipe I adapted from here.The secret of getting a perfect pinni is to roast the gram flour in a slow flame.Let's move on to the recipe........................
Preparation time ~ 5 minutes
Cooking time ~ 15-20 minutes
Makes ~ 8-9
|Powdered Sugar/sakkarai||1/2 cup|
|Mixed nuts(chopped)||2-3 tbs|
|Cardamom powder/ellakai podi||1/8 tsp|
- Heat a pan with ghee,add the gram flour and roast it in a medium slow flame till a nice aroma comes out.
- It may take around 10-12 minutes.Stir it continuously otherwise it may get burnt.
- Add the powdered sugar,chopped nuts and cardamom powder.
- Mix it well and make balls of the mixture and decorate it with some nuts.
Store it in an air tight container.
- Fry the batter in a low flame to get properly roasted if the raw doesn't go it spoils the taste of the pinni.
- If the mixture is too crumbly then add another tbs of melted ghee to make the balls.
- The amount of sugar given it just perfect,if you want you can increase little but don't add more than 1 cup.