Today's recipe for Tamizhar Samayal Tuesday event is a finger licking chicken kulambhu popular in Kongu region.This is my grand mother's signature recipe and used the country chicken(nattu kozhi) for this recipe.The highlight of this recipe is the aroma of freshly ground spices.But here I used the chicken drumsticks for this recipe you can make it with whole chicken also.This recipe goes very well with rice and idly,dosa,now off to the recipe................
Preparation time ~ 15 minuets
Cooking time ~ 40 minutes
Serves ~ 2-3
|Chicken(with bones)||11/2 lbs|
|Onion/ vengayam(finely chopped)||1 (medium size)|
|Tomato(chopped)||2 (medium size)|
|Curry leaves/karivepillai||1 sprig|
To saute and grind
|Coriander powder/dhaniya podi||2tsp|
- Cut and clean the chicken to bite sized pieces and add 1tsp of ginger&garlic paste and turmeric powder,1/2 tsp of salt and mix it well.
- Meanwhile in a tsp of oil saute the given ingredients given except coriander powder for couple of minutes and put off the fire.Finally add the coriander powder and mix it well.Let it cool down and grind it to a fine paste.
- Heat a pan with oil and do the tempering,saute the onion,curry leaves till transparent and add the remaining ginger&garlic paste.Fry it for a minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook it till mushy,then goes in marinated chicken and mix it well.Let it cook it a medium flame for 5 minutes and stir it in between.
- Now add the ground paste and mix it well,add the salt and 2 cups of water,cook it covered in a medium flame till the chicken gets tender and cooked well.
- Finally sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves and put off the flame.
- Flavorful Kongu Chicken Kulambhu is ready.
- Serve it with rice,idly or dosa.
- If you are making this kulambhu for idly or dosa,make it slightly thin.
- My grandmother used shallots for this kulambhu instead of onion for sauteing.
- Adding coconut makes the kulambhu makes it more tasty and delicious so use it.
- Here I used the coriander powder,if you want you can add a tbs of whole coriander while sauteing the other spices.
- Add the coriader powder to the spices after put off the fire otherwise it may get burnt.