|Raw rice /pacharisi||1/2cup|
|Idly rice/pulungal arisi||1/2cup|
|Urad dhal/ulutham paruppu||2tbs|
|Toor dhal/tuvaram paruppu||1tsp|
|Powdered Jaggery/brown sugar/vellam||3/4-1cup|
|Oil||as needed to fry|
Soak the rice and dhal for 2 hours,then grind it in blender with caradmom to coarse paste.Now add the grated coconut and powdered jaggery to it and grind it for a minute.Transfer the batter to a bowl and adjust the consistency(should be like dosa batter consistency).Add the salt and mix it well.
Now slowly pour the oil to the appam with the help of the skimmer to raise.
- Here I used the brown sugar and if you feel the jaggery has impurities make a thich syrup and drain it.Add it to the batter.
- If you want more sweet the amount of jaggery can be increased to 1 cup as I used the brown sugar,added 1 cup.
- Flip the appam once the edges get crisp and brown,after flipping don't cook it for a long time.Remove it in a minute.
- The oil should be in medium flame to get a nice color and even cooking.
- Use a flat base pan to fry this appam and fry one appam at a time to get a nice shape.