Grind the green chillies,rice flour and asafoetida and keep aside.Soak the sago for 30 minutes and cook it in a pressure cooker with 51/2 cups of water in a medium flame for 5-6 whistles.Once the pressure subsides,open the lid.
Fry it in the hot oil whenever it is needed and serve it with any rice preparation or have it as such as a snack.
- The batter should be in dropping consistency,if it is too thick after cooling,adjust it with hot water.
- If the batter is too thin add a tbs of rice and mix it well and cook it till it reached the desired consistency.
- The batter becomes thick upon cooling so adjust the consistency after cooling if it is not in the dropping consistency.
- Food color can also be added if you want it colorful.
- Just drop the batter on the sheet or cloth,do not flatten it with the ladle to thin,otherwise it stick to the cloth or sheet.
- If you are using the cloth to drop the vathal,before peeling the dried vathal sprinkle little water on the back side of the cloth and keep it for 5 minutes.
- Instead of green chillies,red chillies can also be used and the color will be in pale orange.
- The sago can be powdered and used,if you don't want the whole sago.
- I used 1 red chilly and 5 green chillies.