Today is the letter S in A-Z series in journey through Tamil cuisines in mega marathon edition.For the letter S,I am sharing surul appam,a popular dish in Tanjore and Trichy districts.This is a kind of of appam variety where it is rolled and served,thats why the name surul appam.Surul means roll in Tamil.The coconut and sugar is sprinkled on the lacy crepe made with ground rice then rolled and served.
Making this surul appam is so easy and it doesn't need fermentation.This appam cooks very fast as the batter used is in thin consistency.Like other dosa and appam varieties this dish also needs to serve it straight from the pan to relish the taste.Also this appam has to be prepared in a flat dosa griddle and needs to spread like rava dosai.As there were no helping hands when I was making this I couldn't take all the step wise pictures.In our house hold surul appam is served along with breakfast for post wedding feast in brides place for the groom.
- While pouring the batter the griddle should be hot and needs to cook in a medium flame.
- Do the trial with the first appam accordingly adjust the consistency of the water.If the batter is too thin or thick the appam won't comes out nice.
- For this appam usually white sugar is only used but as I don't have white sugar used the brown sugar.
- Wipe the pan with oil every time before pouring the batter.
- I trimmed the edges of appam to fit into the plate.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63