Today's recipe is an instant version of dosa which doesn't need any fermentation which is a good option for breakfast or dinner.
This dosa can be made with both raw rice and idly rice but today I used the raw rice and flattened rice(poha).
Addition of tomatoes give a nice color and tanginess and the poha gives a soft crisp texture to the dosa.This dosa can be eaten as such but coconut chutney is the perfect combo and gives an added taste.Now off to the recipe..............
|Raw rice/sona masoori rice/Paccharisi||11/2cups|
|Rice flakes/flatten rice/poha/aval(thin variety)||1/3cup|
|Asaoetida||a generous pinch|
- Soak the rice for 2 hours and drain the water and keep aside.Soak the aval in the water for 2 minutes and squeeze the excess water,chop the tomatoes roughly.
- In a blender jar put the rice,aval,chopped tomatoes,cumin seeds,red chilly and salt.Grind it to a fine paste with little water as needed.
- Add the coriander leaves and finely chopped onion,asafoetida to it and adjust the consistency by adding water little by little (should not be too thick or too thin).
- Heat a griddle and pour a ladleful of batter and spread in a circular motion.Drizzle a tsp of oil.
- Flip it to the other side and cook it for a minute then remove it from the griddle.
- Serve it with coconut chutney.
- This dosa tastes good if its served hot.
- Do not add too much of onion otherwise spreading the dosa is difficult.
- Cook the dosa in a medium flame.
- Red chillies can be substituted with red chilly powder.
- If the tomatoes ot not sour enough add a tsp of tamarind paste to the batter and mix it well.