Today is the day 5 of blogging marathon#16 and the recipe is going to be a spicy chutney made with shallots.This chutney is a perfect combo for idly and dosa,stays fresh for couple of weeks if it is refrigerated.
My mom uses the stone mortar to pound the shallots and the taste will be even more tastier.Here goes the recipe for the spicy chutney......
|Tamarind||a big gooseberry size|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
|Urad dhal/ullutham paruppu||1tsp|
Put the red chillies,tamarind,garlic and salt in a mixie jar and grind it to a fine paste.
- This chutney can also be made with regular onion also but tastes better with shallots.
- Using sesame oil is optional and it makes the chutney very tasty and flavorful.
- Instead of red chillies,red chilly powder can be used.
- Do not grind the shallots to very fine paste.
- The oil(1/4 cup) used is necessary to maintain the freshness as well as balances the spiciness.