Puttu/pittu is a traditional South Indian delicacy served as a breakfast item for special occasions in our households. Moon dhal puttu is a healthy and delicious sweet puttu which I had it first time in one of my athai's(father's sister) place.My athai's MIL who is an excellent cook made this one for us when we went to their house after our wedding,liked the puttu and got the recipe from her.I made this on Friday, for prasadham to god and used the split moong dhal,originally it is made with whole moong.
|Moong dhal(Paasi paruppu,split)||1/2cup|
|Channa dhal(kadalai paruppu)||2tbs|
Soak the dhals and rice together for 3-4 hours and grind it coarsely in a blender with little water and a pinch of salt.
- Instead of sugar jaggery or brown sugar can be used.
- This puttu will be sticky when it is hot,becomes crumbly after cool down.
- Do not keep in the flame not more than a minute after adding everything in the sugar syrup otherwise it will turn hard and rubbery.
- Equal quantity of dhals (moong dhal+channa dhal)can also be used.
- Grinding the dhals in the food processor gives a perfect coarse batter.