Honey cake is a popular cake available in most of the bakeries in South India.This cake is my childhood favorite and mom used to get in from the local bakery.The jam coated on the top and the desiccated coconut makes the cake even more tastier.In this cake no honey is used but a simple syrup is used to moisten the cake hence the name honey cake.
Coming to the recipe,for the base I made a simple eggless vanilla cake with few variations.Also used some freshly squeezed orange juice as the cake available in shops are orange in color.Off to the recipe......
- The sweetness was just perfect with 1 cup of condensed milk,as again the cake is drenched with sugar syrup.
- The amount of sugar syrup used is just perfect to drench the cake.If you want the syrup to ooze out from the cake,use around a cup of sugar and water.
- Instead of orange juice,milk can be used to mix the batter for the cake.
- Slice the cake once its completely cool down.
- Here I sprinkled the desiccated coconut only on the top but in some of the shops,even the sides are also coated.If you want the sides to be coated then,keep some extra syrup and dip the sides in sugar syrup and roll it in coconut.
This is part of the Bake-a-thon 2016