Today's recipe is a South Indian version of channa masala goes very well with pooris and roti.This is a coconut version with the flavorful garam masala.
The recipe I noted from my mom's recipe collection book and make it for parties and potluck to accompany pooris.Here goes the recipe............
Soaking time ~6-8 hrs
Preparation Time ~ 15 minutes
Cooking Time ~ 30 minutes
Serves ~ 4(generously)
|Onion/ vengayam(finely chopped)||2 (medium size)|
|Ginger&garlic paste||1 tbs|
|Red chilly powder/milagai podi||1 tsp|
|Turmeric powder/manjal podi||1/4 tsp|
|Coriander powder/dhaniya podi||2 tsp|
|Garam masala powder||1/4 tsp|
|Coriander leaves/kothamalli||1 tbs(chopped)|
|Lemon juice||1 tsp(optional)|
Grind to a fine paste
|Fennel seeds/sombu||1 tsp|
|Poppy seeds/kasakasaa||1/2 tsp|
For the seasoning
|Cinnamon/pattai||1 inch piece|
- Soak the chickpeas for 6-8 hours and cook it in a pressure cook along with a pinch of salt and water for 2- 3 whistles.Grind the given ingredients to a fine paste with little water and keep it aside.
- Heat the pan with the oil,do the tempering with the whole garam masala.Add the onion and green chilly,saute till transparent.Add the ginger&garlic paste an fry it till the raw smell goes off.Once the ginger &garlic paste add in the tomato and cook it till mushy with a pinch of salt.Now add the pureed tomato and cook it for couple of minutes.Add in all the spice powders except the garam masala powder and give it a mix.
- Add around 11/2 cups of water and let it boil till the raw smell disappears.Now add the ground coconut paste and around 1/2 cup of water,let it boil for another 5 minutes.At this stage add the cooked chickpeas and let continue boiling for another 2-3 minutes or till it gets thick.
- Finally sprinkle the coriander leaves and garam masala powder,put off the flame.Add the lemon juice and mix it well.
- Channa masala is ready.Serve it with poori or pulao.
This recipe is off to Cook Book Challenge #9 June week 3.