As Vinayagar Chaturthi is around the corner wanted to share some kozhukattai recipes which we make.
Upma kozhukkatai can be made in two ways,one with the processed rice rava/cream of rice and the recipe is here.
But today's recipe is with freshly ground rice and dhal mixture,now off to the recipe......
|Toor dhal/thuvaram paruppu||1tbs|
|Red chilly/varamilagai||3-4(break into pieces)|
For the tempering
|Urad dhal/ulutham paruppu||11/2tsp|
- Soak the rice and dhal for an hour then completely drain the water.Now put it in a blender and pulse it to 15 seconds.The consistency should be bit coarse like wheat rava.
- Heat a pan with oil and crackle the mustard seeds,then add in the urad and channa dhal.The add the asafoetida,now add the red chilly and grated coconut,coconut bits,saute it for a minute.
- Now add 13/4cups of water and salt,let it boil.Once the water started boiling add the ground rice and dhal mixture and stir it well.
- Cook it covered in a medium flame for 2-3 minutes or till it gets cooked.Put off the fire,let it come to warm.Pinch out a small lemon sized ball,keep in the palm and close finger tightly to make fist.
- Continue it for the rest of the batter and arrange it in a idly plate and steam for 7-10 minutes.
- Serve it warm.
- The consistency of the rice is personal preference,if you want you can grind it fine .
- Addition of coconut bits ii optional since we like it I add it.
- Instead of red chillies ,green chillies can be used.
- This can be made with out dhal aslo.