- Sambhar Idly
- Ulundhu Vadai(urad dhal vada)
- Ven Pongal(pongal)
- Nei Roast(ghee roast)
- Degree Kaapi
- Thengai chutney(coconut chutney)
- Poondu chutney(garlic chutney)
Venpongal is a easy to make breakfast item which I make almost every Saturday for breakfast or dinner.Sometimes make it for lunch if I feel lazy to cook or run out of idly batter.Here is the recipe...
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
|Asafoetida/perugayam||a generous pinch|
|Turmeric powder/manjal podi||a pinch|
- Wash the rice and dhal together in the water for couple of times.
- Pressure cook with a pinch of turmeric powder,asafoetida and the salt with 4 cups of water for 2 whistles in a medium flame.
- Meanwhile heat the ghee and oil in a pan and crackle the black pepper then add the chopped ginger,curry leaves and cashews.Finally add the cumin seeds and put off the stove.
- Mix it well to the cooked rice and dhal mixture and mix it well,if needed add a tbs of ghee.
- Serve it hot with chutney and sambhar.
- The amount of water depends on the quality of the rice,if it is too thick after pressure cook,add a cup of boiling water with a pinch of salt.
- If the mixture is too watery,cook it again till it gets thick.
- Usually I added 1/2tsp of crushed pepper and 1/2 tsp of whole pepper.
- The secret of getting tasty pongal is the amount of ghee used.
Linking to Thali Mela happenings in Srivalli's space.