Today's recipe is a very aromatic and spicy chutney which is a great accompaniment for fluffy idly and crispy dosa.
We all know garlic has lots of medicinal values such as it prevents high cholesterol,blood pressure and it is used in most of the recipes.
My mom makes the garlic chutney slightly different whereas in my in-laws house it is made with tomatoes which is spicy and tangy.The tomatoes used in the chutney balances bursting flavor of garlic and the spiciness of the red chillies which is a easy to make with lesser ingredients.Now to the recipe of spicy and flavorful chutney....
|Urad dhal/ullutham paruppu||1/2tsp|
- Peel the skin of the garlic and slice it,chop the tomatoes and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with a tsp of oil,fry the red chillies followed by garlic then add the chopped tomatoes,saute it till it becomes soft and mushy.Allow it to cool.
- Grind it in the blender with salt without adding any water.
- Heat the pan with the remaining oil and add the mustard seeds,urad dhal.Then add the ground paste and put off the stove(no need to cook).
- Serve it with idly or dosa.
- As the moisture is evaporated in the chutney it stays good for 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
- Tempering with mustard seeds and urad dhal is purely optional.
- The chutney will be bit spicy,so top it with generous amount of sesame oil.
- If you want the chutney to be tangy,then a tsp of tamarind paste can be used.
- The garlic here I used are big cloves,after slicing approximately 1 cup.