This is a very simple,healthy breakfast which is easy to make with a slight variation from regular Idly.It's my grand mother's recipe and used to grind the whole soaked ragi grain,as I don't get the whole ragi grain here,mixed the ragi powder along with the rice and urad dhal.
Today is the 1st day of Blogging Marathon#15 under the theme Fermented Foods and follows the recipe for the healthy Idly.......
|Idly rice/Pulungal arisi||11/2cups|
|Finger Millet/Ragi Powder||1cup|
- Soak the rice,rice flakes for atleast 4-5 hours separately and soak the urad dhal and fenugreek seeds for an hour.
- Grind the urad dhal fluffy with water as needed then grind the rice little bit coarsely(fine rava like).
- Mix well the ground Urad dhal,rice and ragi powder along with salt.
- Allow it to ferment for 8-10 hours or overnight.
- Grease the idly plate with oil and pour the fermented batter in the greased idly plate.
- Steam in the cooker or Idly cooker for 10-12 minutes or until done.
- Soft and spongy ragi idlis are ready.
- Serve it with spicy chutney or chutney of your choice.
- Adding the rice flakes is purely optional,it gives a soft texture to the idly.
- Grinding the rice to fine rava like consistency is very important otherwise the idly will turn out sticky.
- Spicy chutney is the best accompaniment for this idly.