After a small break I am here with a flavorful village style kozhi saaru which is my grand mother's signature recipe.
As today is the 2nd Tuesday and sharing this recipe for Tamizhar Samyal Tuesday Event happenings at my space.
This kozhi saaru is mainly prepared for breakfast to accompany idlys but it tastes well with rice also.My grand mother used naatu kozhi(country chicken) for this recipe,but here I used the chicken legs.Lets move on to the recipe............................
Preparation time ~ 20 minutes
Cooking time ~ 40 minutes
Serves ~ 3
|Chicken(with bones)||1 lb|
|Onion/ vengayam(finely chopped)||1 (medium size)|
|Turmeric powder/manjal podi||1/4 tsp|
|Red Chilly powder/milagai podi||1 tsp|
|Curry leaves/karivepillai||1 sprig|
To saute and grind
|Ginger/inji||1 inch piece|
|Coriander powder/kothamalli podi||1 tbs|
|Cinnamon/pattai||1 inch piece|
|Poppy seeds/kasakasa||1/2 tsp|
|Cumin seeds/jeeragam||1/2 tsp|
|Fennel seeds/sombu||1 tsp|
|Black pepper/milagu||1 tsp|
- Clean and wash the chicken,cut into bite sized pieces.To this add the turmeric powder,red chilly powder and 1/2 tsp of salt.Mix it well,set it aside.
- Heat a pan with a tsp of oil and crackle the cumin and fennel seeds then goes in the whole spices.Add in the shallots,ginger and garlic.Saute it until transparent.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and cook it till it becomes mushy,finally add in the grated coconut and mix it well.After cooling grind it to a fine paste.
- Heat the pan with the remaining oil,add in the chopped onion,green chillies and curry leaves.Saute it for a minute.
- Now add in the chicken pieces and saute it till the color changes.At this stage add in the ground paste and mix well till everything blends well.Add around 3 cups of water and remaining salt.Cook it covered in a medium flame till the chicken becomes soft and tender.Stir in between to prevent burning.
- Finally sprinkle the coriander leaves and put off the flame.
Serve it with idly,dosa or rice.
- The stew needs to be slightly thinso adjust the water accordingly.
- If you want to use ginger&garlic paste then omit the whole ginger and garlic,add it along with the onions while sauteing for the curry.
This recipe is off to Tamaizhar Samayal Tuesday.