Today is one of our blogger buddy Shama's birthday and few of our friends decided to shower her virtually.
I made this yummy and spicy,flavorful Andhra style chicken curry.This recipe is so simple and easy,the highlight of the recipe is the freshly ground spice powder.This is no coconut version and adapted the recipe from here.Lets move on to the recipe...............
Recipe Source ~ Divya's Culinary Journey
Preparation Time ~ 15 minutes
Cooking Time ~ 30-35 minutes
|Chicken(with bones)||2 lbs|
|Onion/ vengayam(finely chopped)||2 (medium size)|
|Tomato(pureed)||2 (medium size)|
|Ginger&garlic paste||2 tbs|
|Red chilly powder||2 tsp|
|Coriander powder||2 tsp|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 tsp|
|Curry leaves/karivepillai||1 sprig|
To Roast and Grind
|Fennel seeds/sombhu||1 tsp|
|Cumin seeds/jeeragam||1/2 tsp|
|Poppy seeds/kasakasa||1 tsp|
For the tempering
|Cumin seeds||1/2 tsp|
- Clean and cut the chicken to a bite size pieces and add 1/2 tsp of salt,turmeric powder and chilly powder.Mix it well and keep it.
- Meanwhile dry roast the given ingredients in a pan and grind it to a semi coarse powder,keep it aside.
- Heat a pan with oil crackle the cumin seeds and star anise.Then add in the curry leaves and onion,saute till it becomes transparent.
- Add the ginger&garlic paste,continue sauteing till the raw smell disappears.Now goes in the tomato puree and cook it for couple of minutes.
- powder and coriander powder,give it a mix.
- Add the marinated chicken pieces and cook it for couple of minutes till it changes the color,add in the remaining salt,coriander powder and the ground spice powder.Add around a cup of water.
- Cook it covered in a medium flame till the chicken becomes tender.
- Andhra chicken curry is ready.
- Serve it rice or pulao.
- The amount of spices given is for a medium spicier version.
- Here I used the chicken legs and thighs.