Today's recipe for cooking from cook book challenge is simple thengai/coconut podi which I noted down from my friend.
Thengai podi is flavorful and easy to make,can be mixed with rice along a dash of ghee or an accompaniment for idly.
This podi is often sprinkled in dry vegetable curries and kootu for extra taste and fresh and flavor.This podi stays fresh for a week to 10 days if its stored in an air tight container in room temperature.
Here I used the desiccated coconut but it can be replaced with fresh grated coconut also,with no further delay lets move on to the recipe...............................
Preparation Time ~ 5 minutes
Cooking Time ~ 10 minutes
Makes ~ 1 cup(approximately)
|Urad dhal/ulutham paruppu||1/4 cup|
|Desiccated coconut||1/2 cup|
|Red chilly/varamilagai||4 -5|
- Dry roast the urad dhal,tamarind(if you are using) and red chillies in a medium flame till the urad dhal becomes nice and golden.Transfer it to a plate.
- Now add the dried coconut to the pan and roast it till it becomes crisp and golden.Finally add the asafoetida and put off the flame.Let it cool down completely.
- Put the fried urad dhal and rechillies,salt in a blender jar and grind to bit coarse powder.Then add the roasted coconut and pulse it.Do not run the blender continuously.
Thengai Podi is ready.Store it in an air tight container.
- After adding the coconut do not run the blender/mixie continuously,pulse it with intervals,otherwise it will look like chutney.
- If you using fresh coconut,fry it in a low flame tll it gets crisp and golden.
This recipe is off to Cook Book Challenge #6 March week 2 and Let's Brunch on Sundays event.