I have already shared a version of mutton kulambhu with freshly ground spices but today's version is different one using the kulambhu milagai thool.
As this kulambhu milagai thool has all the garam masala spices which normally used for the tempering so w don't use any extra spices for tempering
If you don't have kulambhu milagai thool,use the redchilly powder and coriander powder,do the tempering with whole spices.This type of kulambhu is made especially in village sides to pair up with either rice or idly and dosa.
Usually this kulambhu is made slightly watery to accompany with idly and very little coconut paste is added to give thickness to the gravy.
Preparation time ~ 20 minutes
Cooking time~40 minutes
|Mutton(with bones)||1 lb|
|Onion/ vengayam(finely chopped)||1 (medium size)|
|Tomato(chopped)||2 (medium size)|
|Ginger&garlic paste||2 tsp|
|Kulambhu Milagai thool||1 tbs|
|Turmeric powder/manjal podi||1/2tsp|
|Garlic/poondu(finely chopped)||2-3 cloves|
|Curry leaves/karivepillai||1 sprig|
|Coriander leaves/kothamalli||1 tbs(chopped)|
Pound to a coarse paste
|Red chilly powder||1/2tsp|
Grind to a fine paste
- Clean and wash the mutton pieces,pound the given ingredients in a stone mortar and keep it aside.
- Put the mutton pieces and the pound paste,turmeric powder and 1/ tsp of salt in a pressure cooker along with 2 cups of water.Cook it in a medium flame for 4-5 whistles or till the mutton becomes tender.
- Meanwhile grind the given ingredients to a fine paste and set it aside.
- Heat a pan with oil and crackle the fennel seeds,add the chopped onion,garlic and curry leaves.
- Saute it till transparent and goes in the ginger &garlic paste fry it for a minute.Now add in the chopped tomatoes,cook it until mushy.
- Add the kulambhu milagai thool and give it a mix,add the mutton stock and let it boil for 5 minutes.
- Add the ground coconut paste and let it cook for a boil.At this stage add the mutton pieces and water as per the consistency needed,simmer it for 12- 15 minutes.
- Finally sprinkle the chopped coriander and put off the flame.
- Serve it with white rice or idly,dosa.
- Instead of kulambhu milagai thool,2 tsp of red chilly powder and 2 tsp of coriander powder can be used.Needed 1/4 tsp of garam masala powder can be added.
- If you are not using kulambhu milagai thool,do the tempering with whole garam masala such as cloves and cinnamon.
- If there is little mutton stock left then add some water along with that to get the consistency.
This recipe is off to Tamizhar Samayal Tuesday event.