Traditionally savory version of paniyaram is made with fermented batter made with rice and dhal or some times left over idly/dosa batter.But today's version doesn't need any fermentation can be made after grinding the batter.This recipe I noted down from a regional T.V cookery show and tried,it came out very well.But this tastes delicious and soft when it is served hot,now off to the recipe..........
Soaking time ~ 3 hrs
Preparation Time ~ 15 minutes
Cooking Time ~ 20 minutes
Makes ~ 30-32
|Idly rice or Boiled rice/pulungal arisi||1cup|
|Channa dhal/kadala paruppu||2tbs|
|Toor dhal/thuvaram paruppu||3tbs|
|Moong dhal/paasi paruppu||2tbs|
|Onion(finel chopped)||1(medium size)|
|Curry leaves/karivepillai(chopped)||1 sprig|
|Green chilly/pachamilagai(finely chopped)||3-4|
|Urad dhal/ulutham paruppu||1tsp|
Soak the dhal and rice together in water for 3 hours,grind it to a fine paste.Keep the pan with a tsp of oil,once it is heated crackle the mustard seeds,urad dhal.Add the curry leaves,asafoetida,and saute the onions till transparent.Finally add the coconut pieces and coriander leaves and turn off the stove.
Add this to the batter and salt,mix it well.Heat the Paniyarm pan,add 1/2 tsp of oil in each mould.
When the oil gets heated pour the batter 3/4 th of the mould.Once its cooked flip the paniyaram with the help or spoon or a knife and let it cook for a minute in a medium flame and drizzle little oil.
Paruppu Paniyaram is ready.Serve it with spicy chutney
Milagai Chutney/Kaara chutney(spicy chutney)
Here is the recipe for spicy onion and tomato chutney which goes very well with the paniyaram.
|Dried Red chilly||10nos.|
|Curry leaves||1 sprig|
- Grind the shallots,tomatoes,tamarind paste and salt together to a coarse paste.
- Heat a pan with oil and crackle with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add in the ground paste and bring it to a boil and to cook till the oil separates.
- Kaara chutney is ready.
- This paniyaram tastes well when it is hot and will be little hard after cooling.
- Cook it in a medium flame to get a nice and even browning.
- For the chutney if shallots are not available add 1 medium onion but taste better with shallots.