Kondakadalai aka Chickpeas Pirattali an accopmaniment for variety rice or sambhar and rasam rice rice in our house holds.The same recipe can be followed for other legumes such as green peas,black eye peas and soya,double beans.
This pirattal tastes better with the dried legumes,so it needs to be soaked over night and cooked.Here goes the recipe...................
|Chick peas/kondakadalai||11/2 cup(soaked)|
|Garam masala powder||1/8tsp|
|Cinnamon||1 inch piece|
|Coriander leaves||to garnish|
|Ginger||a small piece|
- Cook the chick peas in the pressure cooker with a pinch of salt.Grind the ingredients given to fine paste and keep aside.
- Heat the pan with the oil,crackle the fennel seeds,cloves and cinnamon,add the onion and curry leaves.Saute till the onion becomes transparent with a pinch of salt.Once the onion is done add the ground paste and cook until the raw smell goes off.
- Now goes in all the spice powders and salt,give it a mix then add 1/2 cup of water,allow it to boil for couple of minutes.
- Add the cooked chickpeas and mix it well,cook it covered for 3-4 minutes in a medium flame.Stir it well keep it in the flame for a minute or two till it become dry,sprinkle the coriander leaves and mix it well.Put off the flame.
- Serve as an accompaniment.
- After adding the ground paste fry it in a medium flame till the raw smell of ginger and garlic disappears.
- Instead of grinding the tomato,tomato puree can be used. Add it after the onion turns trasnparent