Muttai salna is a South Indian stew like gravy which is served along with the Parottas especially in the road side shops and parotta stalls.
The salna is a slightly watery,flavorful gravy can be made with egg,chicken and veggies or can be made plain gravy.
Egg salna is made in two ways in which the beaten egg is add to the boiling gravy and the second version is adding the hard boiled eggs to thegravy.
As my family likes the second method I prefer to make that version,this salna tastes goes very well with idiyappam and dosa too.Now off to the recipe.....................................
|Coriander leaves||for garnishing|
To saute and grind
|Onion(roughly chopped)||2(medium size)|
|Chilly powder/milagai podi||1tsp|
|Coriander powder/dhania podi||2 tsp|
|Garam masala powder||1/4tsp|
|Turmeric powder/manjal podi||1/8tsp|
For the seasoning
- Heat the pan with 1/2 tbs of oil and saute the onion,green chilly till transparent.Then add the mint leaves,coriander leaves,tomato and cook it till mushy. Add all the powders and saute it for a minute,put off the fire.Grind it to a fine paste after cooling,keep it aside.
- Now grind the coconut,fennel and poppy seeds to a fine paste.
- Heat the pan with the remaining oil,crackle the fennel seeds,then add the wholegaram masala.
- Saute the chopped onion and green chilly,then add the ginger garlic paste,fry it till the raw smell disappears.
- Now add the ground paste and fry it for a minute,add around 2 cups of water and allow to boil in a medium flame for 6-7 mins.
- At this stage add the ground coconut paste and one more cup of water,let it boil for another 4-5 minutes or till the raw smell goes away.
- Add the boiled eggs to it and cook it for a minute and add the chopped coriander leaves.Put off the fire.
- Egg salna is ready.
- Serve it with parotta or idiyappam
- Do not add use coconut more than 1/4 cup otherwise it will change the consistency.
- The given amount of chilly powder is for medium spice level,it can be increased or decreased according to personal preference.
- Add a tsp of lemon juice after put off the fire to the salna if the sourness is not enough.
- I made slits on the egg and added to the gravy.