- Mix in wheat flour,semolina,rice flour and add the milk.Let it soak for an hour.
- Add 1/4 cup of water to the jaggery, make the syrup and pass it through the strainer to remove the impurities. Now mix in the sugar syrup to the soaked mixture.Add in the cardamom powder,salt,baking powder, grated coconut and mix it well.
- Heat a paniyaram pan and add 1tsp of ghee to each hole,once the ghee becomes hot fill each hole with the batter.
- Cook it in a medium flame till golden color and flip it to the other side.Cook it for a minute and remove it from the pan.
- Appam is ready.
- The batter should be in pouring consistency,if it is not add little more milk and adjust the consistency.if the the batter is too thick the appam will be hard.
- Adding grated coconut or coconut bits is purely optional original recipe doesn't have it but can also be added for extra taste and flavor.
- Instead of jaggery sugar can be used and the soaking time is important to get fluffy and soft appams.
- Be generous with the ghee to get a tasty appams.