For this week Cookbook Challenge Cooking I chose a simple and instant dosa from Mrs.Mallika Badrinath's cook book.The ingredients are quiet similar to the toor dhal dosa but it tastes slightly tangy with the flavor of coconut and black pepper.As it doesn't need fermentation this can be made in no time.I paired up the dosa with coconut chutney,but goes very well with idly podi and pickle also. Off to the recipe......................................
Soaking Time ~ 2 hours
Preparation Time ~ 15 minutes
Cooking Time ~ 20 minutes
Makes ~8-10 dosas
|Toor dhal/thuvaram paruppu||1/2 cup|
|Boiled rice/idly rice/pulungal arisi||1 cup|
|Coconut (grated)||4 -5tbs|
|Black pepper/milagu||1 tsp|
|Cumin seeds/jeeragam||1 tsp|
|Curry leaves/karivepillai(chopped)||2 sprig|
- Soak the rice and dhal together for 2 hours and drain the excess water
- Grind it along with red chilly,tamarind,curry leaves and coconut to a coarse batter.Now add the cumin seeds,black pepper and salt,grind it for 30 seconds.
- Transfer it to a bowl,adjust the consistency of the batter with water.It should slightly watery than regular dosa batter.
- Heat the dosa griddle,once it is ready pour a ladle full of batter and spread it. Drizzle a tsp of oil.Flip it to other side and let it cook for a minute.
- Serve it immediately with your choice of chutney.
- This dosa won't become as crispy as regular dosa,tastes best when its served hot.
- The original recipe doesn't have any onions but if you want some chopped onions can be added.