For this week Tamizhar Samayal Tuesday,I am sharing you the famous Pallipalayam chicken fry.Pallipalayam is a place in Erode district in Tamilnadu which quiet famous for chicken dishes.
This chicken fry is a popular in non-vegetariean restaurant menu in Tamilnadu and the recipe sounds similar to the uppu varuval in Chettinadu.
The spiciness and flavor is from the redchillies used and no other special masala is used for this fry.Addition of shallots and garlic along with the dried red chillies makes this fry more flavorful and delicious.This fry tastes good with rasam and curd rice as well as with pulao and biriyani.With no further delay lets move on to the recipe......
Preparation Time -15 minutes
Cooking Time - 25 minutes
|Chicken(with bones)||1 lb|
|Shallots/chinna vengayam(finely chopped)||15|
|Ginger&garlic paste||1 tsp|
|Garlic/poondu(finely chopped)||5-6 cloves|
|Dried Red chilly/varamilgai(broken)||8-10|
|Curry leaves/karivepillai||1 sprig|
|Mustard seeds/kadugu||1/2 tsp|
|Cumin seeds/jeeragam||1/2 tsp|
- Clean and cut the chicken to a bite size pieces,marinate the chicken with ginger& garlic paste,1/2tsp salt and turmeric powder for 30 minutes.
- Heat a pan with oil and crackle the mustard and cumin seeds,add in the broken red chillies,curry leaves.Now goes chopped shallots and garlic,saute it till transparent.
- Now add the marinated chicken and saute in for couple of minutes.
- Add salt and sprinkle around 2 tbs of water,cook it covered in a medium flame till the chicken gets tender.Stir it in between for 2 times.
- Once the chicken is cooked,sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves and keep in a flame for 2-3 minutes till it gets dried and reaches the desired consistency.
- Pallipalayam Chicken fry is ready.
- The amount of red chillies given here is for bit spicier version,can alter according to your taste.
- Using shallots gives a nice flavor and taste to this fry so try to use shallots,if not use a large onion for this amount of chicken.
- Cook it in a medium flame and if you feel the fry is very dry add another tsp of oil after the chicken cooked completely.
- If you are adding the coconut bits,add it along with the shallots and let it fry along with the shallots.
- If you want the fry to be milder,remove the seeds from the red chillies.
- Here I used the fat garlic cloves,if its a smaller variety then use atleast 10-12 cloves.
- Marinating with ginger & garlic paste is purely optional.