Today's recipe is a simple one,like upma but it can be made with garam masala also which I share later.Off to the recipe......................................
Preparation time ~10 minutes
Cooking time ~ 20 minutes
Serves ~ 2
1 (medium size)
1 (medium size)
Urad dhal/ulutham paruppu
- Heat a tsp of oil and roast the semolina in a low flame till it turns pink or till a nice aroma comes out.Keep it aside.
- Heat a pan with a tsp of ghee and do the tempering with the given ingredients.Add the broken cashews and fry it till it becomes golden.Now add in the chopped onion ginger,green chillies, and curry leaves.Saute it till the onion becomes transparent. Add in chopped tomato, saute it till for a minute.
- Now add in the chopped veggies,cook it for couple of minutes.Meanwhile heat around 3 cups of water in a separate pan. Add the roasted semolina to the vegetable mixture and give it a mix and keep it in a low flame.Now to this add the boiling water and increase the flame and mix it.
- Once the water is absorbed reduce the flame and cook it covered for 2-3 minutes.Finally add the remaining one tsp ghee and mix it well.
- Serve it warm with coconut chutney.
Fried gram dhal/potukadalai
For the tempering
Put everything in a blender,pulse it.Then add enough water and grind it to a fine paste.Transfer it to a bowl and do the tempering and add it .
- Semolina/rava needs to fry in a low flame,if the rava doesn't fry properly the kichadi comes out sticky.
- Addition of boiling water cooks the semolina fast.
Check out the blogging marathon page for my fellow bloggers participating in Blogging Marathon #46.