After a rich and delicious mutton biriyani,today I am sharing you a simple and flavorful dhal recipe.I try to include greens in our diet at least weekly once.Methi aka fenugreek leaves I buy every other week and make either sambar or methi paratha.Recently I started making Karakulambhu aslo using this leaves.Here I used the pressure cooker to make thedhal in a jiffy.My mom adds a little tamarind water also for this dhal to make it slightly tangy taste.Now off to the recipe....................................
Preparation Time ~ 15 minutes
Cooking Time ~ 25 minutes
Serves ~ 2(generously)
|Fenugreek leaves/vendhayakeerai||1 cup|
|Toor dhal/thuvaram paruppu||1/2 cup|
|Onion(finely chopped)||1(medium size)|
|Tomato(finely chopped)||1(large size)|
|Garlic/poondu(chopped)||3 fat cloves|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 tsp|
|Curry leaves/karivepillai||few leaves|
For the tempering
|Mustard seeds/kadugu||1/2 tsp|
|Urad dhal/uluthamparppu||1/2 tsp|
|Cumin seeds/jeeragam||1/4 tsp|
|Dried red chilly/varamilagai||1(broken)|
- Pressure cook the dhal for 3-4 whistles in a medium flame.Clean the methi leaves in water for 2-3 times to remove the soil particles.Soak the tamarind in 1/4 cup of water and extract it.
- To the cooked dhal add the methi leaves,onion,tomato,green chilly and salt.Pressure cook it for another 2 whistles.
- Once the pressure subsides give it a mix and add the tamarind water.Let it boil for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a pan heat the oil and ghee,do the tempering with the given ingredients and add the chopped garlic,curry leaves.Fry it till golden and add it to the dhal mixture.Cook it for a minute and put off the flame.
- Dhal Methi is ready.
Serve it with steamed rice and pappad or some veggie fry.
- Addition of tamarind water is purely optional but it reduces the bitterness from the fenugreek leaves.
- Do not chop the fenugreek leaves otherwise it may be bitter.