I have already posted the pepper chicken fry which is a dried version but today's recipe is a gravy version goes very well with rice.
The recipe I have given is slightly a spicier version as we prefer to eat this one bit spicy and made it with the chicken drumsticks.The spice level can be altered for the milder version,now on to the recipe.........
|Onion||2 (medium size)|
|Chilly powder/milagai podi||11/2tsp|
|Coriander powder/kothamalli podi||2tsp|
|Garam masala powder||1/4tsp|
|Curry leaves||2 sprigs|
|Black pepper corns/milagu||1tbs|
For the tempering
|Cinnamom.pattai||1 inch piece|
- Wash and clean the chicken and marinate with a tsp of ginger& garlic paste,salt,red chilly powder and turmeric powder.Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Dry roast the fennel seeds and black pepper corns in a medium flame till the aroma comes,powder it coarsely.Grind the given ingredients to a fine paste and set it aside.
- Heat a pan with oil and crackle the fennel seeds follows the cinnamon,cloves and star anise.
- Saute the onion and curry leaves till transparent and add the ginger&garlic paste,fry it till the raw smell disappears.
- Then add the tomatoes and cook it till mushy,now add the marinated chicken and mix it well.
- Add the coarsely ground powder and coriander powder and mix it well.
- Add a cup of water and cook it covered in a medium flame for 10 minutes or till the chicken is cooked completely.
- Now add the coconut paste and cook it till the raw smell goes off.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve it with rice or roti.
- Here I used the chicken drumsticks,it can be made with whole chicken.
- The spice level can be adjusted according to personal preference.
- Instead of coconut paste,thick coconut milk can be used.
- Roast the black pepper and fennel in a low to medium flame to get roasted evenly.