Today's post is a simple recipe with Chayote aka chow chow,in our households we make sambhar and kootu with chow chow.But this poriyal was new to me when I had in Saravana Bhavan lunch Thali.It tasted good and my son liked it a lot,so tried my version and came out delicious.Now off to the recipe................
Preparation Time ~ 10 minutes
Cooking Time ~ 15 minutes
Serves ~ 2-3
|Chayote/chow chow||11/2 cups(chopped)|
|Mustard seeds/kadugu||1/2 tsp|
|Curry leaves/karivepillai||few leaves|
- Pressure cook the channa dhal for whistle in a pressure cooker and keep it aside.
- In a pan add the chopped chayote and green chilly.Sprinkle some water and pinch of salt,cook it till it becomes tender.Drain if any excess water.
- In a separate pan heat the oil and do the tempering with the ingredients,saute the shallots for a minute,add the grated coconut and cooked channa dhal along with the salt.
- Add the cooked chayote and mix it well and keep it for a minute in the flame.
- Simple chayote poriyal is ready.
- Instead channa dhal,moong dhal can be used.
- Here I cooked the channa dhal for a whistle in a cooker,instead you can soak it for 10 minutes and cook in the microwave.
This recipe is off to Vegan Thursday event started by Priya of Priya's Versatile Recipes.